Lord, we have heard of your fame; we stand in awe of your deeds, Lord. Repeat those in our day, in our time make them known. – Habakkuk 3:2
Let’s ENVISION the future of First Broad Street together. Over the course of several months in 2016, members of our church prayed together and sought together the direction that God would have this community of believers go over the next several years. These four areas of focus will prepare FBSUMC to meet the present needs of our community as well as ensure a vital future for our church community. In May, a promotional piece for First Broad Street’s vision was released to the congregation. We ask that you would share these with friends who may be interested in learning more about our church. We also ask that you would keep this piece before you to help all of us stay focused on the progress and energy we can devote to these key areas for our church’s growth and future. Already efforts are underway to enhance these four areas of ministry. Please review these goals and activities and consider how you can participate in what God is doing at First Broad Street.
Enhance Worship by…
- Increasing lay involvement in our worship – with testimonies, creative arts, special music, increased participation in our music groups
- Upgrading the sanctuary – refresh carpet, pews, & sound system
- Revitalizing hospitality – new exterior and interior signage for visitors, increase lay volunteer presence for Sunday morning hospitality
Enhance Discipleship by…
- Developing a discipleship program available to everyone (individually, & through small groups, Sunday school classes, and study groups) –Fall 2017
- Encouraging each person to grow in discipleship by participating each week in personal devotional activities, a small group, a study group and service – Fall 2017
Enhance ministry to children and youth by…
- Increasing safety measures
- Creating an offering park
- Implementing New Amp Sunday School program
- Increasing training for staff and laity
Enhancing ministry through local missions by. . .
- Reaching at risk children – increasing support and contact through the Childcare Center, Jackson School, Camp Bays Mt.
- Increasing external communication about all the FBS is doing
- Increasing lay involvement and volunteers in FBS ministries
The Mission and Strategy of First broad Street UMC- To help people follow Jesus by Loving God, Growing Together, and Reaching Out.
First Broad Street United Methodist Church is a community of Christian faith located on Church Circle in downtown Kingsport, TN. Whether you have been a Christian all your life and are looking for a place to live and grow as a disciple of Jesus Christ, or you have never been in a church before and are curious about who Jesus is and what being a Christian is all about, there is a place for you at First Broad Street to journey in faith by Loving God, Growing Together, and Reaching Out.
With the bible as our foundation, guided by reason, tradition, and experience, we seek to live into the following values:
- Experiencing God- We seek to offer ways to grow deeper with God.
- Powerful Worship- We seek to provide opportunities for God to inspire powerful worship.
- Healthy Marriages- We seek to enable couples to have God-centered relationships.
- Strong Families- We seek to guide families as they raise children to follow Christ in a changing world.
- Sharing Life- We seek to be an inclusive and diverse Christ-centered community that values intergenerational relationships.
- Faith in Action- We seek to share Christ's love through speech and service.